Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Dilemma

Over the past few days I’ve really been giving some serious thought about gear acquisition – something a good number of photo enthusiasts are very familiar with. I have a few dough to spare, but I don’t know what to get.

I currently have an E-PL1, which I really really like. I also have the kit 14-42 lens, which really works for me, so I’m not really pulled into the prime wide angle lens selection. I have the revered Panasonic 20mm which is usually the one on my camera. And I have a Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 which (though I love the results when the focus is spot on) is really a pain to use around kids, being manual focus and all.

I am thinking about getting a second body, specifically a Panasonic G3 body. I can get it under their EPP, which means a discounted price. I love the built-in EVF, something I sorely miss on the E-PL1. I know there is an Olympus viewfinder accessory – the VF-2 – but it is priced too ridiculously for my taste. I would appreciate the faster AF, and I could think of a number of scenarios where the swivel screen would come in handy. Plus I read that Panasonic’s video is much better than Olympus’, and I have been using my E-PL1’s video quite extensively these days.

However, a new rumor surfaced saying that Olympus will be launching a new body with a much faster AF, something that’s at par (or even better) than a DSLR’s. Now that is something every parent with a young kid would appreciate.

And then of course there are the lenses. I’d love to get the Panasonic Leica 45mm. I love the samples I see, plus it’s native on the micro 4/3 format, so it can replace my Canon 50mm. But really, the price is very steep. There’s an upcoming Leica 25mm f/1.4, which I think is priced reasonably, but initially I thought that’s too close to the 20mm focal range.  But what if I sell the 20mm, and get the 25mm instead? Not really a Leica fanboy (haven’t tried a Leica for myself), but it’s a Leica.

Hmmm… decisions decisions! I can only get one item at this time, so do I get an extra body or a lens? Which body, which lens?

Someone rescue me.

No comments:

Post a Comment