Thursday, April 21, 2011

Now we’re talking

I finally got myself a brand spankin’ new flash unit – a Nissin Di466. This is the first time I bought myself an external flash unit. I’ve always wanted to use natural light, but there are times when a wide aperture just wouldn’t cut it, and the natural light is not enough.
I don’t know yet the intricacies of strobe photography – I’m just at the stage where I either mount the flash unit on the shoe, or set it off as a wireless slave. At least I got to make it work as a slave, right?
Anyway, I am happy with it, and here’s some of my test shots, both taken in our bedroom last night, flash head is rotated straight up:
Tangled
Excuse me
Notice that the dreaded harsh flash light is not present, and there are no shadows! (Well, except for the door frame in the first picture, but that’s more because of my composition.)
And because I’m so happy with my purchase, today I decided to cook one of Ming Tsai’s recipes for dinner – Gingered Pork With Leeks. The taste is okaaaaayy, but I think I was doomed right at the start by two things. One, the recipe called for 1 pound of pork, and I think I got more like 1.5 to almost 2 pounds. Sorry, I’m not good with weights, just look at mine. The second thing is I didn’t think I sliced both the pork and the leeks “as thin as possible.” Oh well, it is still good eats. So good that I forgot to use my Nissin Di466 to take this picture:

No comments:

Post a Comment