Friday, December 16, 2011

Chinatown

I'm now on Day 4, and boy, a week's almost done, and I still have a long list of to-do's! This time, I visited the local Chinatown, where every trip is an adventure.

I decided to go all-Fuji processing for this trip -- these images (except the last two) were straight out of the camera. (The other two just didn't seem to convey the same feeling when I used just the OOC jpg.)

Food is a BIG BIG part of Filipino culture, and when you mix it some more with Chinese culture and cuisine, you have an explosion of culinary possibilities. Sadly, my stomach can only take so much in one sitting. :-)

First off, a shot by my mom of my dad, me, and some local personalities in front of a no-frills, off-the-beaten-track restaurant that's a local legend.

DSCF3170


And here's a quick Super-Macro of the food. I said "quick" because I just had to get that snap before I gave in to the sights and smells of the food in front of me! :-)

DSCF3176


After lunch, we rode one of the de-padyaks (only this time it was not a bicycle, but a small motorcycle fitted with a sidecar). I rode behind the driver so I can get quick snaps of the area while he navigated the streets.

A ready-to-eat fruit vendor
DSCF3166


A calesa (horse-drawn carriage) -- I tried to take a shot of the calesa's front view as we passed, but I almost fell from the vehicle. :biggrin:
A calesa
PS: Note the yellow ribbon - when one wears it, it's almost always a sign of fondness for the late Corazon Aquino (the wife of our hero Ninoy Aquino) who was swept into power through a bloodless revolution in 1986 (also called "People Power Revolution"), and is generally credited with the restoration of democracy to our country.

Fruits and veggies everywhere! (That's my mom's back, by the way.)
DSCF3204

A local grocery shop
DSCF3216


East meets West. Note the Chinese incense candles in front of the cross.
East meets West

A de-padyak (which is also called "sidecar")
DSCF3214

It's the way Chinatowns should be (I think): busy, tasty, crowded, colorful. It's sensory overload, but well worth the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment